Friday, August 8, 2008

Stitches or Glue? THAT is the question!

The old phrase 'boys will be boys' doesn't always apply at our house! With two 5 & 6 year old rowdy boys, our 1st trip to the ER for a banged up head was with our 21 month old baby GIRL, Kate! She was so tough, but reminded me, en route to the hospital, that it hurt by holding her head and saying "Owie"! The hospital staff was wonderful & fell in love with Kate the minute they saw her. They had to wrap her head before working on her to stop the bleeding & clean up the cut. Since she looked like an Indian, we made Indian sounds together as they worked. We even had the nurse wrap her baby doll's head to look the same. The doc said that the result of stitches vs. glue would be no different, so to avoid sedating her, we decided to glue. He did a fantastic job. She was a great sport, but being manually pinned down on the table very uncomfortable and scary for her! She was such a brave little patient that she was given a new teddy bear, some crackers, and some applesauce to soften the trauma. It was definitely an exhausting afternoon for baby and for the mommy! I'm just glad my little princess is okay!




10 comments:

Hunter Family Blog said...

Awww... so sad, yet so precious! I am glad your experience was as good as ours! I don't remember my dreams hardly ever, but last night I had a drea that our little princess made a safe happy and quick entrance into the world!!!!! Now I am more anxious and excited than ever! Time is going to go sooooooooooooooo slow!!!!

White Out said...

poor nuggets! What a cute girl/indian though! haha i cant wait til you come!

Trav and Linds said...

Poor Kate! I'm glad she is ok. I love that her little doll had her head wrapped up too!

mreay said...

I remember our first trip to the ER it is totally taxing on mommy & child...oh how I feel for you! How cute you are to do Indian sounds with her! I hope everything and everyone turned out ok and I think next time I'll choose glue...stiches are rough!!

Michelle said...

Awwwwww. Bless her heart. She's pretty tough. You really haven't been to the ER before with two BOYS?!? My Aaron has been WAY too many times. Good grief. That glue is pretty cool.

Ashley said...

Poor Kate!!!!! But I'm glad she's doing good!

When do you guyscome out here? And when does school start SOON right? Will Ty start back to preschool too? Have fun with all the back to school adventures!!! see you soon

Beck said...

Janice, first off, HEY! Long time no see :) We obviously need a girls night :)

Second, good choice with the glue! With 4 boys and freqenting the ER/Urgent Care on more times than I want to recall... the Dermabond (glue) is GREAT for the face and non-hairy areas! We have lots of leftover "glue" fixups! We infact, bought some dermabond and do most of it ourselves :) (we also bought a medical staple remover and do those ourselves too :)

Good to catch up! You can check us out at www.condiffcrew.blogspot.com

Deanne said...

Poor girl! She looks darling with her bandage, and it looks like she was well taken care of (I'm sure that's one of the perks of being so dang cute!) I'm glad she's o.k!

Ellery said...

soo sad!! but glad she didnt have to go through stitches!! she looked soo cute..blood bandages and all!

Kent and Emily Cook said...

You seriously have the cutest little girl, EVER... even with the bandage! I am so sorry you guys had to go through that, especially with Melodie at my house! She was my life saver when Madison had to have her eye stitched up.
AND, I can't BELIEVE all the random coincidences! Your sister in London AND Jeff Cowart! The world is just too small, my friend. Sure do miss you...